Gatesway Foundation Applauds Key Insights from KFF Medicaid Disenrollment Tracker, Citing Concerns.

Tulsa, August 17, 2023- The Gatesway Foundation, a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving equity and quality for those with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, commends the invaluable findings presented in the recent report by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) titled "Medicaid Enrollment and Unwinding Tracker." The report sheds light on critical trends and shifts in Medicaid enrollment, reaffirming the urgent need for continued efforts to support those who rely on this vital safety net.

The KFF Medicaid Enrollment and Unwinding Tracker presents a comprehensive analysis of Medicaid enrollment patterns, unraveling the complex dynamics of enrollment and disenrollment. As an organization committed to enhancing the well-being of underserved communities, Gatesway Foundation recognizes the importance of this research in guiding evidence-based policymaking and resource allocation.

Key insights from the report underscore the necessity of sustained advocacy and support for Medicaid expansion and retention initiatives. The data highlights disenrollments of Medicaid recipients due to the ending of COVID-19 policies that suspended the requirement for renewals. The study citing that 74% of those disenrolled were due to procedural reasons, the remaining 26% being ineligible. These insights emphasize the essential role that Medicaid plays in ensuring access to healthcare services for vulnerable populations during times of crisis and stability alike.

For Gatesway Foundation, we must express the concerns with transparency of state agencies and the reality many with I/DD face. Those served by Gatesway have assigned program staff that protect from these changes in polices, ending in disenrollment. This support is not always accessible to this vulnerable population. Thus, bringing concerns for those without natural supports, like family members.

Gatesway Foundation's mission aligns seamlessly with the goals of the KFF report, as we remain steadfast in our commitment to:

  1. Promote Healthcare Equity: We believe that every individual, regardless of their socio-economic background, deserves equitable access to quality healthcare. The KFF report reinforces the importance of addressing disparities and dismantling barriers that hinder Medicaid enrollment and retention among marginalized communities.
  2. Advocate for Policy Reform: The findings of the KFF report provide a data-driven foundation for advocating meaningful policy reforms. Gatesway Foundation will utilize this information to engage policymakers and stakeholders, urging for policies that strengthen Medicaid and ensure its resilience in the face of evolving challenges.
  3. Empower Community Outreach: Armed with the insights from the KFF report, Gatesway Foundation will bolster its community outreach efforts. We will work collaboratively with local organizations and healthcare providers to enhance awareness of Medicaid benefits, streamline enrollment processes, and mitigate barriers to access.

The Gatesway Foundation expresses its gratitude to the Kaiser Family Foundation for its diligent research and commitment to promoting informed decision-making. By leveraging the insights provided in the "Medicaid Enrollment and Unwinding Tracker," we are confident in our ability to effect positive change and advance our vision of a healthier, more equitable society.


You can find more on this study at


For further information, please contact:

Elijah Blankenship

Chief Development Officer

Gatesway Foundation